Monday, April 23, 2007

Trip West Tibet - Mt Everest

I never expect that I will have a chance to see Everest at the close up. We were so excited when we reached the base of Everest. Seeing her from this distance is already pumping up my adrenaline. It is so exciting. The temperature was really chilling though. It was about 6 - 7 degree in the afternoon, can't imagine what it will be like in the night. At this altitude, I am already feeling the lack of air and the chill. Checked my heartbeat and it was around 180 beats per minute without me exerting myself. It is kinda worrying. Anyway, me and Ollie did a toast to our friendship and to Everest before climbing to the Base Camp 1 for a closer look the next day.

Mt Everest...what more to say...
The climb up took about an hour. Although it is only a 4 kilometre climb, the altitude and the lack of air makes the climb very difficult. The air was so cold in the wee hours that my hand felt like it was burning whenever I took off my gloves to take a picture. It is all worth it though!

No comments: